There are around 7 doctors based within the greater Cairns region including Mareeba, Manoora and Cairns City who advise they are able to perform or consult on vision correction surgery and treatment. Laser eye surgery is typically performed by an Ophthalmologists who are classified under the medical practice of Ophthalmology a field of medicine that deals with diseases, functions and anatomy of the eye. An ophthalmologist is a specialist in medical and surgical eye problems, and since ophthalmologist perform operations they can be both a medical and surgical specialist.
- Doctor Atkinson Graeme – Suite 4A Flecker House, 5 Upward St, Cairns
- Cairns Eye & Laser Clinic – 92- 94 Pease Street, Cairns
- Doctor Field Andrew – Cairns Eye & Laser Clinic, 92 Pease Street, Cairns
- Doctor O’Hagan Stephen – 92 Pease Street, Cairns
- Doctor Peters James – Cairns Eye & Laser Clinic, 92 Pease Street, Cairns
- The Eye Specialists – Suite 4A Flecker House, 5 Upward Street, Cairns
- North Queensland Eye Clinic – 321-323 Sheridan Street, Cairns
Professional Requirements for ophthalmologists.
Must have completed a college degree, medical school and residency/internship training along with 2 to 4 years of postgrad training in ophthalmology. In a number of countries ophthalmologists also can undergo additional specialist training in sub specialties. The Ophthalmology sub specalities deal with certain diseases or diseases of certain parts of your eye. Some of these medical specialities are:
- Ocular oncology
- Orbit surgery & Oculoplastics
- Refractive surgery
- Vitreo-retinal surgery
- Posterior Segment
- Anterior segment surgery